We love our snacks. Unfortunately, not all snacks are your friends — especially when you have GI issues. Wanting to avoid flare-ups can make finding your perfect mid-day snack quite difficult.
Luckily, there are GI-friendly options out there such as a green smoothie, peanut butter balls, and a yogurt parfait. Read more about these and other GI healthy recipes below from Healthline!
Lactose-free yogurt parfait
- In a glass, layer one container of lactose-free yogurt, such as coconut yogurt.
- Alternate layers with banana slices and papaya chunks.
- Top with 1 tbsp. smooth nut butter of your choice.
Cucumber cottage-cheese toast
- Toast a slice of your favorite gluten-free bread.
- Spread with 2 tbsp. lactose-free cottage cheese mixed with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Top with peeled, sliced cucumbers.
- Sprinkle with fresh mint.
Crunchy peanut butter balls
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup puffed rice with 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter.
- Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1/4 cup local honey, and 1/4 cup powdered peanut butter.
- Roll mixture into balls and store in the refrigerator.
(1 serving equals 1-2 balls)
Nut and seed banana slices
- Slice a banana in half, lengthwise.
- Spread each side with 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter.
- Sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut and other preferred toppings.
Tropical green smoothie
- In a blender, blend 1/2 small banana, 1/4 cup frozen pineapple, a handful of spinach, 1/2 cup lactose-free coconut yogurt, and 1/4 cup nut milk or coconut milk.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
4 even easier snack ideas!
Pressed for time or no appliances at-the-ready? Try these even simpler and equally delicious Crohn’s-friendly snack ideas:
Fruit and cheese snack plate
Make yourself a mini cheese plate with:
- 1/3 cup grapes
- 1 oz. brie
Mini antipasti skewers
Thread black or green olives, cherry tomatoes, basil, and prosciutto onto toothpicks. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper.
Tuna cucumber bites
Mix 1/2 cup canned tuna with 1 tbsp. light olive oil mayo, 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper, salt, and freshly cracked pepper. Scoop onto peeled cucumber slices.
Turkey veggie rollups
Slice zucchini, red bell peppers, and carrots into matchsticks. Roll 3 slices of turkey around veggies and eat!